Audi Dealership Sold Car with Many Issues - Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ashish

20 August 2015
I bought a new Audi A4 4 months ago. When I bought it, the car was fantastic to drive and had no issues. However, a week into driving I felt some vibration through the steering. When I complained, I was asked to bring the car in. Once checked, they said they couldn't feel any vibration and dismissed the claim. After about 2 months I also started hearing a very high pitched noise from the right side of the car. This time the dealership said it's consistent with the other cars for the same model.

I went on to complain to Audi Australia. They sent a rep and once checked, they confirmed they could feel the vibration and hear the noise. They kept the car for 3 days and told me the issue was rectified. Once received, I drove the car and it was no different. I was then told they have checked with Audi Germany and this is consistent with the car and there are no issues. I was further told the car is under warranty and so I have nothing to worry about.

To me, I think this is a rip off and should receive a full refund and compensation for it under Australian consumer law?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Ashish,

You may be protected under Australian Consumer Law. If it is an issue with the manufacturer of the car, you may seek directly from them, or the dealership.

There are a number of articles that talk about faulty cars and the ACL, take a read of:
You should be able to find your answer in these articles. Your next point of action should be talking with the Fair Trading department in your state or territory.