QLD Attacked by Two Men - Can I Claim Personal Injury Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rdejo96

15 March 2017
On the 4th of March, I went to the strip club for a friend's birthday. At around 3:30am, my partner and I were at the taxi rank. A fight broke out between myself and two other men. Both of the other men involved were arrested on the night.

In the CCTV footage according to the officer, there is no footage of the start of the fight, which I cannot remember myself. All that you can see on the CCTV is me getting attacked by both people at the same time who work in the Australian Army. I now have bruised ribs, a black eye, bruising on the white of my eye and a broken nose. I was also knocked unconscious for a minute or so. I just want to know where I stand in terms of pressing charges and what the result would be. If there's any personal injury compensation for me and what the punishment for them would be.

After the fight happened, I was sitting at a rest and recovery tent, still very out of it and my partner was hyperventilating according to the officer as he told me today, I wanted to talk to her and the officer was telling me to giver her a minute but in the state I was in, both drunk and obviously still not 100% there after the fight, I allegedly threw my cup of water in the police officers face, whilst attempting to barge past to talk to my partner, which resulted in the officer trying to grab me and me tearing his shirt before another officer put me down.

I am now being charged with assaulting a police officer. However the officer did state that I will more than likely only receive a fine and no criminal charges as I didn't throw any punches or physically hurt him.

Basically I just want to know where I stand and if I need to see a lawyer about both of these instances. I don't have a lot of money and can't really afford one at this point in time so as much help as possible would be amazing.

Thanks.

Also I'm from QLD, Australia

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I would definitely speak to a lawyer about the assault against a police officer. As far as the assault by the two pongos goes, you need to work out what you hope to achieve (revenge / compensation) It could be more trouble than its worth.

After all it was an altercation between 3 drunks and you aren't sure if you started it or not. I would speak to the lawyer about your assault charge ( that's a really serious one) and ask the lawyer what you can do about the other situation.