ACT Assault and Damage - Need Legal Advisor on the Day?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TSC

3 May 2015
My husband has been charged with 1 counts of damage to our own car & one of assault after slapping me.I never went on record with a statement. He made admissions at the station. He faces court Monday and in lock up till then. I am not allowed to talk to him till after court. He had surgery on Friday and am worried that he should not have had to sign anything while he may have still had affects from the anesthetic.

Will he need a lawyer on the day?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi TSC,

It is always recommended that one has a lawyer. A lawyer can no longer advise your husband on the situation (merits of the evidence, strength of the case against him, law), a lawyer will also check for procedural irregularity (e.g. during police interviews with your husband: what was said, what was implied, what was done). This is especially important if your husband later intends to argue involuntary making of a statement.

Refer your husband to the ACT Legal Aid. If your husband is on bail, he should go see his local community legal centre.

Reactions: Tim W