- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Arrested but Charges were Dropped - Would This Hinder Visa Application?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by PaNa, 24 November 2015.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. PaNa

PaNa Member

24 November 2015
    Hi, just a very quick question. If you were arrested and charged, but then the charges were dismissed, would this prevent you from obtaining an L-1 visa under Immigration Law?

I was wrongfully arrested and charged when I was 19. The charges were dropped due to lack of evidence, however, as per the instructions I have declared this arrest in my Visa application. I am anxious that this does not hinder my ability to move to the USA as part of my Career path.
  2. Therese

Therese Well-Known Member

11 October 2015

it is my understanding that charges that are dropped do not appear on your criminal record and should not affect your options.

However, if you were asked to demonstrate this information in the application they may be trying to establish the criteria of good behaviour.

As you were not convicted this would be in your favour, however to be certain I would contact an immigration expert. See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You