VIC applying to vary intervention order

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jamie27

9 April 2020
so, I've been counting the days to the end of the intervention order and with 3 days left I've been served with papers that she wants a 12 month extension. The reasons why are garbage. Feel like fighting it this time.

Jamie27

9 April 2020
in a nutshell she alleges that I shoved her in March, used a computer to search for how to create carbon monoxide on April 12 (I haven’t been in the house since April 3) and that our daughters have been “unsettled” after visiting with me (untrue - they just want to see their dad and were upset about leaving me) - I have a lawyer to represent me

Atticus

6 February 2019
she alleges that I shoved her in March
Did she lodge a complaint at the time... If not, on the balance of probabilities, probably didn't happen ..... Daughters being 'unsettled' is her opinion & can't be attributed to any one thing or person most likley

Jamie27

9 April 2020
Hi Atticus, police spoke to me 12 days after the "shouldering" allegedly happened and they took no action. I believe the fact my daughters contradicted their mother's version of events may have played a role.
This is almost 4 months on. I've had no contact with her apart from when we've been dropping off or picking up kids. I'd like to think that's long enough for the order to not be extended for another year but we'll see I guess.
Happy to consent to an order without admissions if she's the only one on it - will aim to negotiate other conditions being left off.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
added that police aren't applying for the extra 12 months - she's doing it off her own bat

Sounds more like a new application.

Speak to your lawyer about the possibility of having the extension thrown out.

Jamie27

9 April 2020
Thanks Rod - I showed it to a police officer friend of mine who said "is that really the best she could come up with??"

Hope the magistrate feels the same way

Atticus

6 February 2019
might be a dumb question but how does a joint undertaking work?

should have added that police aren't applying for the extra 12 months - she's doing it off her own bat
No police support for this one, no action taken on the march complaint ..... First off seek to have it thrown out as per Rod's advice. If for some reason the mag looks likely to allow it, you can then offer an undertaking... No direct legal consequences for a breach, but is a 'promise' to the court NOT to breach .... Just means that if there IS a breach contrary to whatever conditions are on it, there is a VERY high chance that an interim IVO will follow.

A joint undertaking just means you both give that undertaking

Jamie27

9 April 2020
No police support for this one, no action taken on the march complaint ..... First off seek to have it thrown out as per Rod's advice. If for some reason the mag looks likely to allow it, you can then offer an undertaking... No direct legal consequences for a breach, but is a 'promise' to the court NOT to breach .... Just means that if there IS a breach contrary to whatever conditions are on it, there is a VERY high chance that an interim IVO will follow.

A joint undertaking just means you both give that undertaking
Thanks Atticus - will let you know how it goes