VIC All Charges withdrawn 2 days before 2 day contest.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Skateboard

22 June 2017
I had seven charges withdrawn 2 days before a two day contest, the original brief served on me was incomplete, I received some legal advice from two different free lawyers and they both said that what I did was not an offence but I should insist on obtaining the full brief of evidence. I complained at one of the hearings and the Magistrate made a court order instructing the police informant to serve a full copy of all the evidence in the brief on me but this was not done. At a contest I again indicated that I required full statements from all victims and witnesses and the police had the case adjourned for a further 5 months to allow police to obtain this evidence.

A week before the 2 day contest I contacted the prosecutor and informant again asking for an updated witness list and all statements that would be relied upon. I received no response from my email. A different police prosecutor then emailed me two days before the contest and informed me that all the charges would be withdrawn and that I would not be required to attend court.

From arrest to withdraw was 2 years and 7 months and during this time I became very depressed, I thought about this case almost every day and my business suffered. I couldn’t sleep properly and eventually I couldn’t work anymore due to my stress I am now on job search. I was not informed why the 7 charges were withdrawn but I suspect that there was a realisation after 2 years and 7 months that there was no evidence.

Although I am relieved that it’s all over , I am still on job search even more stressed and have lost well over $200,000 in income and sold assets to live and my business will never recover.

I have been told that I cannot be compensated for my losses and now poor health is this true.