ACT Advice on non compliant supplier

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rebi

7 February 2019
I have a supplier that sent me an order of clothing where 80 of 280 pieces of clothing were the wrong size.
There invoices and statements were non-compliant i.e did not identify their company or ABN, they had incorrect company information on them.
I have dealt with them for about ten years and must have at some stage had information that was compliant, but over time they had changed their company structure without informing me or something and up until two weeks ago when they backdated the invoices and statements with the correct information I could not identify them with ASIC.
Once I realised they weren't registered for GST (as far as I could see) and that none of their documentation was compliant I told them and asked them for the information. I also made a report to the ATO. Their stance the past four months has just been "pay us" and ignoring my request for the information and compliant documentation. Basically they have hounded me through legal avenues for payment without providing proof of their business.
As soon as I realised they were non compliant I removed their stock from sale and put in storage.
On their invoice it has a Retention of title clause and today I sent the goods back to them as I have now missed the window of opportunity to sell them and so many were not what I ordered anyway.
Thoughts?