VIC Accused of Theft by Employer - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

s9310

29 August 2017
Hi,

I'm being accused of theft from my work place. 'Fraudulent refunds' is what they're calling it. It adds up to around about $1000. How can I prove I didn't do it?

It's all under my name in the computer but everybody knows everyone's access codes. There is no security cameras or witnesses or anything. I want to resign because I think this is totally unfair. I'm scared about what will happen, so should I just offer to pay it back and then be done with it?

I've heard about this happening before, them pushing employees out once they have made up their minds. Can I be charged if they have never charged others accused of this?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
i'm scared about what will happen so should i just offer to pay it back and then be done with it?
Why give them money if you never took it in the first place? This would show a consciousness of guilt.

Have they reported it to the police yet?

there is no security cameras or witnesses or anything.
More often than not, this isn't the case.

There's often a lot of different, intricate details in these types of cases, you should speak with a solicitor immediately if you're contacted by police.