Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Australian Consumer Law - Excessive Invoice but No Quotation?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by uncle bob, 20 September 2015.

1. uncle bob

uncle bob Member

Hi there, recently had a draftsman do preliminary drawings and was charged $2500 with no quotation. I paid it as I had made changes to the plan a few times. I went back to get work on the drawings done, and the draftsman began working on drawings and made it clear that my builder is applying for building permit.

I supplied engineering, soil test, etc. to the builder. On many occasions, I have asked the draftsman what am I looking at for these working drawings? No reply from him and at the end and I received an invoice of nearly double of what I paid for the preliminary drawings.

I spoke to draftsman about the invoice and he tells me "it is what it is" so pay it. It's been nearly one and a half years since the invoice date and I haven't paid it. I wrote a letter to detail the costs, and the draftsman replies a year later, but a few weeks before that, had a accountant ring me demanding I pay the bill.

This bloke was so rude. Until today, I haven't paid this ridiculous amount.

2. uncle bob

uncle bob Member

Hello all,
    Should I take this matter to VCAT to determine an outcome?
    Should I wait till they make a claim?
    Under which consumer laws does this come under? Is it Section 51 that applies?
    Could anyone give me a possible scenario? Never been in any situation like this before.