VIC Australian Consumer Law - Excessive Invoice but No Quotation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

uncle bob

20 September 2015
Hi there, recently had a draftsman do preliminary drawings and was charged $2500 with no quotation. I paid it as I had made changes to the plan a few times. I went back to get work on the drawings done, and the draftsman began working on drawings and made it clear that my builder is applying for building permit.

I supplied engineering, soil test, etc. to the builder. On many occasions, I have asked the draftsman what am I looking at for these working drawings? No reply from him and at the end and I received an invoice of nearly double of what I paid for the preliminary drawings.

I spoke to draftsman about the invoice and he tells me "it is what it is" so pay it. It's been nearly one and a half years since the invoice date and I haven't paid it. I wrote a letter to detail the costs, and the draftsman replies a year later, but a few weeks before that, had a accountant ring me demanding I pay the bill.

This bloke was so rude. Until today, I haven't paid this ridiculous amount.

uncle bob

20 September 2015
Hello all,
Should I take this matter to VCAT to determine an outcome?
Should I wait till they make a claim?
Under which consumer laws does this come under? Is it Section 51 that applies?
Could anyone give me a possible scenario? Never been in any situation like this before.