NSW Access to parents divorce settlement.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

30 April 2023
My father has made me executor for his will. While going through the process, he took me through the will and I realised that my brother and myself were essentially cut out. My step-brothers would be getting the family home and some other investment properties, as well as the majority of other assets.

My parents divorced in the 1980’s when my brother and myself were small children. Both my parents remarried.

When I asked my father why my brother and I were being left out, he said it was because we got the family home in his divorce from my mother.

Neither myself or my brother have received the home or anything related to that home. It was sold in 1989 and my mother remarried soon after.

My mothers new marriage was not a happy one and she divorced again.

The assets from this divorce have been split between my mother and former step-father.

I’ve asked my mother about my father’s claim that the original family home was to be given to my brother and myself and she doesn’t have the same recollection of the divorce settlement.

I’ve tried to get a copy of the settlement but can’t seem to get anywhere. Can anyone give me a good place to start? I really just want to know what the terms were and go from there.

Thanks.