Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Abandoned Road Sign - No Record from Council - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Ellen Dee, 19 December 2015.

  1. Ellen Dee

    Ellen Dee Member

    19 December 2015
    Likes Received:
    A temporary roadwork sign was left at the end of my street a few weeks ago, and I called the council about it as it was blocking half the footpath and on the road. The council has no record of doing any roadwork there and told me it was ok to remove the sign. I have removed the sign but I'm not sure what I am now allowed to do with it.

    I have a friend in community theatre who would be able to use it, but I am not sure if I am able to give it to her and how to find out who actually owns it.

    Any suggestions on what I should do now?
  2. Paul Cott

    Paul Cott Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

    26 May 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Ellen,

    Maybe put a notice up in the local paper explaining the situation with the sign and saying that if after 30 days nobody claims it, it will be deemed to be owned by you. Good work with your honesty.

    Hope that helps.
  3. Tim W

    Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

    28 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Privately owned signs (such as those owned by roadworks or traffic control companies)
    have markings to indicate ownership (even if it's just handwriting).

    Council probably owns it. Can you take it to the Council depot?

    It's not yours to keep, nor to deal in (such as by giving it to someone else).
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page