NSW Draft Plan from Council

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lyn Wood

9 June 2017
I live in the Nambucca Shire and I bounder with Thistle Park (Cricket Oval).
This land use to belong to the Education Dept until they sold it to our council due to pressure from the community for a small sum of $25,000 on the condition that they could sell it for 30 years with the permission of the Minister for Education. Now the council wishes to sell 1 block of this land, I admit it bounders with my property but that isnt the main reason I am objecting to this. They then state that they will use this money to beautify Thistle Park and build things that already exist across the road at Donnelly Welsh Playing Fields which is also a cricket oval. After I objected to this the council then sent out a letter to every resident that adjoins this park showing there concept plan and giving us 28 to state any objections. Plus put it in the paper.
We have a lot of people who wish to sign something as a community to object to a few of the things they wish to do among that selling the land.
I have been told to do a petition I have to be careful that it is legal, but now I am thinking can I just make it an answer to their letter and list the objections and get people who agree with it to sign it then I can lodge it with the council. Would this be legal

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Lyn,
Putting together a petition against a proposal isn't illegal. As you have identified they sent out a draft proposal to residence. This is to gauge objections, well not really, they do this as a part of the public consolation requirements. You might also want to make an enquiry to see if they did seek the minister of educations approval to sell prior to the 30 years. I would look at getting as much support from the locals bordering on the property and write to council to have the objection tabled as an agenda item at the next council meeting. With enough support you can stop this.

Lance

31 October 2015
How do you know it illegal Lance?
Hi Harry, You misread. I didn't say anything was illegal. I said there is nothing illegal about putting together a petition against a proposal that has been put out to public consultation.