Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

WA Abandoned Property (Car) - How to Legally Remove from Private Property?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Minimouse, 7 March 2015.

1. Minimouse

Minimouse Member

Hoping I can get some advice here. My brother, a drug addict, has been squatting at a property owned by our mother which is currently available for rent. We have managed to finally get him to move on, this has taken over a year to achieve....but he has left behind a car. He is refusing to respond to text messages or phone calls and as far as we know he has no where to park the car, he also has a motor home but no fixed address to locate extra vehicles at. What steps can we take to remove the car (abandoned property) so that we can, in good faith, lease the property out?

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    John R likes this.
  3. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @Minimouse,
    The previous question threads listed by @Ivy should be helpful. Two questions for you:
    1. Is the car parked on the property or on the street, etc.?
    2. Is the car registered?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Minimouse

Minimouse Member

The car is parked on private property and was registered last time I checked, but may well have lapsed rego now.