TAS Abandoned Property - Selling Abandoned Vehicle?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mark W

14 March 2018
I have a vehicle which was left at my address by my daughter's ex boyfriend before they moved back to Queensland 12 months ago. They vehicle has been sitting here since they left and he has made no attempt to remove it or arrange to have it collected. It was out of registration when he left it here.

To add to the matter, he owes my wife and I just under $2000 which we had loaned him whilst they were down here. He had been paying it off and had signed an original loan agreement (thankfully, I made him do it at the time) as well as when we loaned him some extra money, he signed an amendment.

The money owing, however, he has not paid anything off since prior to Christmas 2017 and we are both now at the point of what to do. We have asked and sent texts and got assurances money would be paid along with some verbals that the car would be picked up some 6 months ago. None of which have eventuated.

We have sent him a text with the balance on several times and he has acknowledged he will pay but again, nothing is paid. I am at the point of now looking at selling the abandoned property in lieu of what is owed. If I can get at least what is owed I will be happy (though I doubt its going to be worth that, but at least it is something).

We spoke to the local Police who basically said they don't really get involved and it would only be an issue if he wanted to pursue it legally. I am not sure where we stand. Has anyone come across this?

I feel we have a good case but before we go down that track would thought I would ask the question.