NSW 10k over speed limit

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Robert S

4 April 2018
I received a speeding fine including 1 demerit point for going 70kmph in a 60 zone. A number of people have told me that you can challenge a fine when it is 10kmph over the speed limit as there is a tolerance to allow for innaccuracy of cameras. Is this correct?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Can you challenge? Yes. Are you likely to be successful? Probably not. Your chances may be better if you have a reasonable excuse to offer as to why you were exceeding the speed limit.

The offence is simply exceeding the speed limit. The fines and penalties imposed by the RTA is a proportion of the maximums allowed under the legislation.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I agree with Rob, and if you want to challenge it, it will be up to you to prove that the speed camera is faulty. Good luck with that! The other point is that if authorities don't want to give you infringement because you were above the speed limit by 10k/h, this is their choice, they decide whether to issue an infringement or not, it is not up to you and you can not claim that they gave someone and did not give you, their choice, you were above the speed limit, so you were at fault.

If you have a good driving record, this would be your best bet, ask for review as Rob mentioned.