QLD Youth Allowance

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

captcha

1 May 2019
If your child is deemed an adult on their 18th birthday and therefore child support ceases, why are they not considered to be independent by Centrelink?
I have been informed that my 19 year old whom lives away from home to undertake an apprenticeship does not qualify for apprentice youth allowance as my husband and I earn over the threshold. Which is my second question. Centrelink have said that they use my husbands and my income and my sons fathers income is irrelevant. Child Support do not use a partners income in an assessment, then why would Centrelink?
If Child Support stops at 18 yet we’re financially responsible until our son is 22, why is there a 4 year gap between where only one biological parent is liable? If this is correct, surely the act needs to be changed so that both biological parents are liable until the child is 22.
Does anyone have experience with this?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Child Support do not use a partners income in an assessment, then why would Centrelink?
Yeah - they're a lot more generous when it comes to taking money off the other parent than they are coughing up govt money themselves.

Look, I kinda see this both ways. Frankly, do you really want child support to factor in your new partner's income like they do for family tax benefit?

But yes - I do understand there are some discrepancies in the system and this is one of them.

captcha

1 May 2019
It’s a huge discrepancy. I can’t believe I’m financially responsible for another four years and his biological father is not. Child Support should continue until 22 to align with the family act. Thanks Sammy01

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok... So don't get me started.... My ex hasn't paid a cent in 4 years and I reckon she would chop off her right arm to get a disability support pension if that is what it took to avoid paying....

Reactions: captcha

captcha

1 May 2019
Ok... So don't get me started.... My ex hasn't paid a cent in 4 years and I reckon she would chop off her right arm to get a disability support pension if that is what it took to avoid paying....
Isn’t it awful. I want to provide for my son and he would actually love to further his education at university however we live rurally with none near by and job prospects are poor. Even though my husband and I earn above the threshold we can’t afford to fund him through uni and his father would never offer to contribute if he doesn’t have to. This 4 year gap is not right