QLD Workplace bullying in qld

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Amiee hart

22 January 2018
i was recently a victim of workplace bullying, however my employer didn’t think this was the case and refused to do anything about it. I am now on medication as the incident has caused me to develop anxiety and depression. And also, I work as a career and reported something confidential to my boss who revealed to the person in question that I personally made a complaint which surely can not be legal. Is there anything I can do legally to make my former workplace take account and pay me for the days I missed due to anxiety?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can report bullying to the Fair Work Commission if the boss is not doing anything constructive.

Revealing confidential information is a separate matter and would need to be pursued through the courts - May not be worth it. Suggest getting a doctor's certificate so you are covered for Occ Health and Safety (WorkCover or whatever it is called in QLD).

Amiee hart

22 January 2018
You can report bullying to the Fair Work Commission if the boss is not doing anything constructive.

Revealing confidential information is a separate matter and would need to be pursued through the courts - May not be worth it. Suggest getting a doctor's certificate so you are covered for Occ Health and Safety (WorkCover or whatever it is called in QLD).

I got a medical certificate but Work Cover won’t do anything

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Workcover probably won't do anything because your 'injury' has not reached the required threshold - and you don't want it to. It is better to be healthy than rely on Workcover.

But it is important to have the 'injury' traced back to work just in case the injury does get worse.

The importance of my job would dictate what I do next. Could be anything from doing nothing, to going to the FWC to going to court. There are options in between, like having another meeting with the boss in the presence of a witness, sending the boss a letter explaining about the bullying and about disclosure of important confidential information.

Amiee hart

22 January 2018
Workcover probably won't do anything because your 'injury' has not reached the required threshold - and you don't want it to. It is better to be healthy than rely on Workcover.

But it is important to have the 'injury' traced back to work just in case the injury does get worse.

The importance of my job would dictate what I do next. Could be anything from doing nothing, to going to the FWC to going to court. There are options in between, like having another meeting with the boss in the presence of a witness, sending the boss a letter explaining about the bullying and about disclosure of important confidential information.

I have left that workplace. I sent a letter detailing everything that has happened and they basically told me they were going to sweep it under the carpet like it never happened

Clancy

6 April 2016
I have left that workplace. I sent a letter detailing everything that has happened and they basically told me they were going to sweep it under the carpet like it never happened

Good for you! But you probably should have spoken to the fair work Ombudsman first.
Anyway, it is good that you reported it because bulleys will never stop, and sooner or later more complaints will appear, so eventually this bulley will have to be dealt with.

Ever noticed how you can instinctively and immediately know who is going to be a problem the first instant you meet them? There is a certain distinct 'vibe' that bulleys put out..... i have on several occasions declined jobs just based on the vibe i was getting from the people i met at the job interview!

Splinter

29 January 2018
Hi Amiee
Bullying of any kind any where is not acceptable. I also work as a carer and have seen this type of behaviour in many forms. Some people don’t even realise they are doing it. And I get that it is tough when your on the receiving end but never stoop to their level and always remember you are a better person than that. Bullies usually target vulnerable people because of their own insecurities about something. Always remember that there are so many avenues for help out there hope you are feeling better.