TAS working during time off in lieu

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by aati, 2 May 2018.

  1. aati

    aati Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    27 August 2017
    Messages:
    60
    Likes Received:
    1
    I have resigned.
    given correct notice.
    in writing my employer has said that I can have time off in lieu and finish immediately.
    however, verbally, he has said I will be on call and come in to help with transition. (meaning: Continue to fix their computers which are old and always breaking down)
    I am ok with this, however, I am not ok with the fact that with time off In lieu one does not receive accrued leave or superannuation. So it is their cheap way of keeping me on to the end at their beck and call whilst not having to pay these benefits.
    please can you give me your advice. Thank you.
     
  2. Rod

    Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

    Joined:
    27 May 2014
    Messages:
    6,204
    Likes Received:
    863
    Pay in lieu of notice is normal pay and should have accrued leave and super.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. aati

    aati Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    27 August 2017
    Messages:
    60
    Likes Received:
    1
    I am only given accrued leave up until the last physical day of work. Thereafter during TOIL no accrued leave is given.
     
  4. Rod

    Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

    Joined:
    27 May 2014
    Messages:
    6,204
    Likes Received:
    863
    Calculate the additional $ amount and add it to your letter as its own line item.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. aati

    aati Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    27 August 2017
    Messages:
    60
    Likes Received:
    1
    1.I have been told Tha if you are not physically at work (ie TOIL) you cannot accrue leave.
    2. If I have accepted TOIL surely it is illegal for employer to call on me to come into work when they want.
     
  6. Rod

    Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

    Joined:
    27 May 2014
    Messages:
    6,204
    Likes Received:
    863
    Hmm, they might be right wrt to annual leave.

    Read this, half way down the page it states the requirements: Welcome to the Fair Work Ombudsman website

    If still in doubt call the Fair Work Ombudsman.

    I'm not convinced the FWO page has it right, but believe them before you believe me. Might do a little more digging around.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Rod

    Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

    Joined:
    27 May 2014
    Messages:
    6,204
    Likes Received:
    863
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. aati

    aati Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    27 August 2017
    Messages:
    60
    Likes Received:
    1
    Thank you for advice.
    Regarding being expected to be on call during toil, is this legal?
     
  9. Rod

    Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

    Joined:
    27 May 2014
    Messages:
    6,204
    Likes Received:
    863
    This is where you say you are not obliged to work as they gave you TOIL and you accepted. However if they want to pay you for negotiating a new agreement they and you can make a new agreement and you can negotiate the pay rate.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Larry K. Clark

    Joined:
    29 April 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think only a lawyer can advice you.:)
     
Loading...

Share This Page

Loading...
gt;