Working during notice period - is it allowed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
11 September 2019
Hi. I've been advised that I will be offered a redundancy mid October and on that date I will be given my 2mth notice period along with redundancy pay (which is part of my contract) but I'm not required to work out the notice period. (which I'm fine with). What I wanted to know was if I found a job and started during the 2mth notice period is that allowable? Or do I need to start employment at the end of the notice period.

Thanks!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Check your contract, officially you are still employed however some employers do not care, some allow it without an issue.

If in doubt inform the employer and see what they say.

Some people just work without telling anyone else.

Serge Gorval

2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
Hi. I've been advised that I will be offered a redundancy mid October and on that date I will be given my 2mth notice period along with redundancy pay (which is part of my contract) but I'm not required to work out the notice period. (which I'm fine with). What I wanted to know was if I found a job and started during the 2mth notice period is that allowable? Or do I need to start employment at the end of the notice period.

Thanks!

no, if you are not on "Garden/gardening leave' your employment and contract terminated upon the giving of notice in this case in lieu. as such unless there are other restrictive covenants in your contract e.g. restraint of trade, you are free to commence your new role.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Apologies, I agree with Serge.