Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Hand in Notice Period Before Redundancy?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Marco, 8 August 2016.

1. Marco

Marco Active Member

Hello, I’m seeking for a quick help regarding my situation.

I’m currently employed under a 457 visa since October 2015 and I have now decided to resign because I want to come back to my home country in November. I have a 3-month notice period and by resigning now, I should be free by mid-November.

Currently, my company is facing some challenges and a slow down in its business. My manager told me and other managers (I’m in the executive team) that a cut in jobs is probably needed starting from September 2016. It’s still not sure yet; we don’t know how much of the employment budget should be cut, and I don’t know how… but I suspect through redundancy.

I want to resign because I want to work for my whole notice period, it’s 3 months, but in case of redundancy, I know the minimum notice period is 1 week – plus I won’t get any redundancy pay in case they make me redundant, because I have been employed here less than 1 year.

Given this situation, my question is: if I resign – or – if I express my intent of resigning before they decide what to do with cutting jobs and redundancy, could they make me redundant?

I would like to avoid this, and I would like to work for my whole notice period until November.

Thanks,

2. Serge Gorval

Serge Gorval Well-Known Member

hi Marco,

That's right, if you resign now, you forfeit your entitlement to any redundancy.

There are a few ways you can approach this issue. Either raise the matter with your current employer on a without prejudice basis advising them that you will take a vol redundancy, or wait for the redundancy and re-negotiate a reasonable notice period.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Marco

Marco Active Member

Thanks. I have managed to give resignation yesterday.