NSW Will Fine from Police Officer Appear on Background Check?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mattias

29 November 2016
Hi

I was recently fined from a NSW transport officer for 'offensive language, offensive behaviour or spitting'. I did seek legal advice and also tried disputing, however, I was unsuccessful so I paid the fine.

I have a background check coming up, and I was wondering if this would appear on the criminal background check. I did not go to court for this matter, I was not fined by a police officer (it was from a transport officer) and I don't think paying a fine is an admission of guilt since legal advice was to pay the fine instead of risking going to court where it may be a criminal charge and go on criminal record.

Thanks very much and look forward to any input.

Regards

Victoria S

9 April 2014
I believe in some cases it can result in a criminal record however if you didn't go to court it doesn't sound like a "conviction"

mattias

29 November 2016
I believe in some cases it can result in a criminal record however if you didn't go to court it doesn't sound like a "conviction"

Does anyone know how I can confirm for certain? I have a background check coming up but afraid it might affect my job.

I've been researching everywhere online and can't seem to find a straight answer. The fine was from a transport nsw and I did not go to court or deal with the police in any form. From some websites I have read, as long as I did not receive a court attendance hearing then it will not appear on the criminal history check. However, I have also heard of traffic offences that appear on the criminal history check where they did not attend court either.

I would just really like to confirm for ease of mind.

Lance

31 October 2015
Does anyone know how I can confirm for certain? I have a background check coming up but afraid it might affect my job.

I've been researching everywhere online and can't seem to find a straight answer. The fine was from a transport nsw and I did not go to court or deal with the police in any form. From some websites I have read, as long as I did not receive a court attendance hearing then it will not appear on the criminal history check. However, I have also heard of traffic offences that appear on the criminal history check where they did not attend court either.

I would just really like to confirm for ease of mind.

Hi, the only way you can know for sure is to wait and see what comes back. If you didn't go to court, minor traffic infringements don't generally show up. So it sounds like it will be clear. Try not to stress.