VIC Wife has Lawyers for Property Settlement - What Now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBennet05

27 December 2018
So a few weeks ago, I received a letter from a lawyer stating that my wife had hired them to assist her with a property settlement.

Up until this point, I assumed that the wife and I could amicably sort out our affairs without involving lawyers and the courts but I guess I was wrong. They have sent me an initiating application and a financial statement and I'm guessing that I will need to do the same.

The lawyers are asking me to provide them with a bunch of documents including my tax returns and bank balances. Is this legal?

I'm not really interested in hiring a full-time lawyer, but I would like to pay someone to write my documents. I can show up at court if required and do not need someone for this process.

Does anyone know of a law office that can assist me here? I'm located in Melbourne if it makes any difference.

Thank you

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'd suggest you write back to the ex's solicitors and ask them to supply the same documents on behalf of the ex. Are there kids involved?

nat 2015

8 February 2017
I'd suggest you write back to the ex's solicitors and ask them to supply the same documents on behalf of the ex
Are there kids involved?
My ex lawyer refused to give me any documents, I sent everything they asked for, but when I asked the same in return I was ignored. Sucks big time

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The lawyers are asking me to provide them with a bunch of documents including my tax returns and bank balances (is this legal?).

Yes. In fact it is a mandatory step in property settlements. The experiences of some here have indicated it doesn't always happen as expected, and this is an example where having a lawyer assist when things don't work out as expected.

I'm a big believer in ADR but it doesn't work if the other side just refuses to cooperate.

At a minimum you should prepare a response, and financial statement. Is there an affidavit with the application?

Does anyone know of a law office that can assist me here. I'm located in Melbourne if it makes any difference.

[Moderated - Inappropriate solicitation]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.