VIC Wife has Lawyers for Property Settlement - What Now?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by RBennet05, 27 December 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBennet05

RBennet05 Member

So a few weeks ago, I received a letter from a lawyer stating that my wife had hired them to assist her with a property settlement.

Up until this point, I assumed that the wife and I could amicably sort out our affairs without involving lawyers and the courts but I guess I was wrong. They have sent me an initiating application and a financial statement and I'm guessing that I will need to do the same.

The lawyers are asking me to provide them with a bunch of documents including my tax returns and bank balances. Is this legal?

I'm not really interested in hiring a full-time lawyer, but I would like to pay someone to write my documents. I can show up at court if required and do not need someone for this process.

Does anyone know of a law office that can assist me here? I'm located in Melbourne if it makes any difference.

Thank you

2. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you write back to the ex's solicitors and ask them to supply the same documents on behalf of the ex. Are there kids involved?

3. nat 2015

nat 2015 Well-Known Member

My ex lawyer refused to give me any documents, I sent everything they asked for, but when I asked the same in return I was ignored. Sucks big time

4. CSFLW

CSFLW Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified

Hi RBennet

If you have been sent the Initiating Application and Financial Statement, your ex-wife's lawyers my have filed proceedings.

Do the documents have a red-stamp on them?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Rod

Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Yes. In fact it is a mandatory step in property settlements. The experiences of some here have indicated it doesn't always happen as expected, and this is an example where having a lawyer assist when things don't work out as expected.

I'm a big believer in ADR but it doesn't work if the other side just refuses to cooperate.

At a minimum you should prepare a response, and financial statement. Is there an affidavit with the application?

[Moderated - Inappropriate solicitation]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 Rod, 27 December 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: 27 December 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.