VIC Car Accident - Was I at Fault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Blinky Bill

28 February 2017
Hello there,

I was recently involved in a minor crash and I hit a car in front of me. The damage is only a scratch on the bumper. My car insurance company says it was my fault as I didn't keep the legal distance to the car in front of me. I was wondering if that is correct.

As far as I know there are some exceptions to the rule that 100% of the times the driver of the reared car is not at fault. In this case the car accident happened at a roundabout where the car in front of me was waiting and so was I. Then the car in the front started moving but then it suddenly stopped again. I didn't expect the driver to stop again as it was safe to proceed through the intersection, I think both of us were at fault and we should share liability.

Anyone was in a similar situation before?

Thank you!

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
What you're asking considers the concept of 'contributory negligence'. Generally speaking, you must give way to cars in the same lane as you which are precede you. To succeed in a claim that the person is partially responsible for the accident, you would need to prove that their actions in stopping were unreasonable - or that they deliberately did so to cause the accident.

What's counting against you are the requirements to drive with due care and attention and to maintain a safe stopping distance between yourself and the car in front.

Reactions: Blinky Bill

Blinky Bill

28 February 2017
Hi Rob,

Thank you for your answer.

I can see your point. Unfortunately I cannot prove the other driver stopped with no reason. It is my word against hers. I guess having a dash camera would have helped.