QLD When is Vehicle Considered an Abandoned Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Neil C

30 October 2016
My son and I recovered an abandoned, bogged NSW registered vehicle from a beach here in Queensland in August this year. According to a camper, it had been sitting in this state for over a week when we found it. Keys were in the ignition, half tank of fuel but flat tires. We towed the vehicle off the beach and removed it to my home for safe keeping until the registered owner could be contacted.

NSW police were notified and agreed to contact the owner. My details were passed on for the owner or his representative to contact me regarding removal. It's been 3 months now and nothing has been heard from anyone, even police. Vehicle is licenced (in NSW).

I intend to write and send a registered letter to the owner at the address listed on the registration papers demanding he make arrangements for it's removal or I will surrender the plates as abandoned and then dispose of the vehicle after having it licenced here in Queensland.

What are my legal financial obligations if the vehicle is sold? When is it considered a completely abandoned property rendering the previous owner unable to claim?

S

Sophea

I would check with the NSW Police and see what they say. Generally with property other than vehicles, its a 3 month period to locate the owner of lost property then you can claim it. May be different for vehicles though.

Reactions: Neil C

Neil C

30 October 2016
Thanks Sophea. I have heard of people relicensing cars that have been abandoned only to have the owner recover the car or claim the balance of a sold vehicle some time later.

Trying to avoid this happening if I dispose of it.