WA What is the Statute of Limitations to Sue for Negligence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

astute

22 November 2015
Hi
I am new to this and was hoping to get some help. I have a friend who is currently in prison and was bashed up in prison and subsequently admitted to a hospital. What is the statute of limitations of suing for negligence?

Thank you.

astute

22 November 2015
Apparently there is no investigation done after the incident. One of his pal tried asking the officer what actually happened, but no one is giving them any answer.

Also, it must have been really bad for him to be admitted to the hospital. He just wants to know what happened and who attacked him. He is unsure what to do as he doesn't have any savings to hire a lawyer to find out what exactly happened.

He is physically and mentally broken right now.

Julia S

12 November 2015
Not pro bono work. Meaning that most lawyers take your case to a pre-trial conference on deferred fee and the client only pay disbursements like medical reports or medical notes.

If they are successful in getting a settlement, the lawyer will get some fees paid by the defendant and the remaining by the client with their compensation.

With criminal injuries compensation, they pay all fees but the fees are usually not that high

astute

22 November 2015
Thank you for the explanation.

In regards to criminal injuries compensation, they pay all fees? They as in the victim pay all fees? And why do you say it is not that high.

I do apologize for asking simple questions as I am not familiar with all this.

Do appreciate that you are taking the time to explain to me.