VIC What are my options when there is no response from the other party after the expiration of the deadline following the issuance of a letter of demand

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ksivasub

6 September 2023
Another party initially engaged a lawyer for a money litigation, but there has been no response from the lawyer since then. I was subsequently compelled to hire a lawyer and issue a letter of demand, to which we have received no response from either the other party or their lawyer. What are my best options? I do not have sufficient funds to support my legal proceedings.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Taking the matter to court is the only serious option.

Starting legal action often brings the other party to the negotiating/mediation table.

BTW, there are a couple of ways this may be funded without necessarily needing to outlay money upfront.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Taking the matter to court is the only serious option.

Starting legal action often brings the other party to the negotiating/mediation table.

BTW, there are a couple of ways this may be funded without necessarily needing to outlay money upfront.
Agreed.
Presumably your Letter of Demand included you saying
something about commencing an action unless they paid you?

If so, then I am not sure why you made that threat (yes, threat)
if you were/are not in a position to carry it out?

I agree with @Rod in that the threat can sometimes - sometimes - bring people to the table.
But, seemingly not in this case.
I agree with @Rod in that actually starting litigation is now pretty much your only option.