WA Warrants in WA - Will Police Arrest Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jan ann

10 June 2015
If I have arrest warrants in WA and went to Victoria, will WA police track me down and arrest me in Victoria?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Will more than likely depend on the seriousness of the warrants and whether or not you get 'noticed' by the Vic police who then do a routine check for outstanding warrants.

Unless you are a hardened career criminal it is normally better to front up and address the issue rather than try to hide.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
WAPOL probably won't actively chase you interstate, but they don't need to.
Australian police forces share information in pretty much real time.
So your name will be "flagged" nationally, and the first time you "come under notice" anywhere
(which may not take much), you can expect to be arrested on the interstate warrant(s).

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Sure. But what's the warrant for?

Jan ann

10 June 2015
Not going to court and I'm on a 12 mth suspended sentance for driving without a licence x4

Ponala

10 February 2015
Given the cost of extraditions etc., you won't get arrested on that warrant in Vic. They would inform WA Police of your new address etc and leave it at that. WA Police command wouldn't authorise flying cops to Vic for a couple of days to get you back to WA for that.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Not turning up to court ("Fail To Appear") can be an offence in itself.
The court can issue a warrant for your arrest in respect of that.
Governments share information about these nationally.

In NSW, we call that a "First Instance" warrant.
It is possible for you to be arrested on that warrant the next time you come under notice of police anywhere.
This can be for something as seemingly minor as traveling on a train without a ticket.
And is a distinct possibility at an RBT stop (I've known it to happen).

Upon return to WA, you can be expect your suspended sentence to be looked at
by the court that imposed it for any breaches of conditions.
This can result in your sentence being reviewed, the suspension lifted, and the full (or remaining) sentence imposed.
I respectfully disagree with @Ponala in that I think the chances of you being returned to WA are... at least 50-50.