Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

WA Violence Restraining Order - Can I Sue for Mental Anguish?

Discussion in 'Personal Injury Law Forum' started by Benjamin Woonings, 21 September 2016.

1. Benjamin Woonings

I recently had a Violence Restraining Order placed against me wrongfully. I am contesting it but it has caused me quite a lot of stress and anxiety. Am I able to sue the person who took the Vilence Restraining Order out on me for mental anguish/distress?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Yes, a couple of different options exist.

Malicious Prosecution. But it is not necessarily easy proving your case. It is up to you to prove, amongst a few other things, that the case against you was motivated by malice and was unreasonable (eg not based of facts or genuine belief).

Defamation is a possibility depending on what was said and who to. Telling police and/or court does not count for defamation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...