VIC Uninsured car accident, no contact details?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ulta

15 November 2017
Hey there,

a month ago I had a car accident where I was at fault and was uninsured. The other driver only has my license plate number and a picture of my german driver license.
I never spoke to a police officer and fixed my car (registered in VIC to my name).

Now I am wondering how the other driver's insurnace is going to contact me since he doesn't have my address/phone number? Can the insurance company get these information from Vicroads or tje police and what happens if I ignore letters of the insurance and just leave the country in a few months?

Can I get a fine as well, if the other driver called the police after I was leaving with the towing truck? Is there theoretically any chancr to get around paying for the damage I caused since I almost got no money..?

Thanks for every answer!

Clancy

6 April 2016
Don't worry, their insurance company will find you.
I don't think you can be charged with a fine without first having been questioned by police?
You can get around paying for the damage by being bankrupt..... However if you have a regular wage, the court will more likely garnish your wages.

If i was in your position, i would have offered to buy their vehicle at a fair market price (as if undamaged). Then at least i could get some money back selling the parts, but if an insurance claim has already been made, your out of luck.