VIC Unfair Speeding Ticket

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Antonia

27 March 2018
I received a speeding ticket. The police pulled me over saying I was going 76 in a 60 zone. However I was on cruise control and my speed was set on 65. There was a car right in front of me and it was also a single lane, but the police still pulled me over. The police came out and told me I was speeding. I than showed them that my cruise control was on. I also mentioned the other car that was right in front of me. He didn't seem to care and he took my licence and wrote me up a fine. When I tried to discuss this with him again, he through my fine and licence at my face and walked away.
How can I dispute this fine?
I would also like to show them the dash cam footage if possible, because how I was treated was very upsetting.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Take the matter to court. Be prepared to spend 2 or 3 days at court.

The magistrate will not bother with the dash cam to consider the policeman's behaviour as it is not relevant to the speeding charge. Having another car in front of you is also not relevant.

Does your dash cam include speed readings? If so it is admissible.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I can add to Rod, don't worry to argue about the policeman's attitude, remember the police deal with a lot of people who don't show respect, that is why most police officers deal with no emotion (let's say that), most times I don't blame them at all, once you take this point of view. The police are here to protect not a Nanny. In my opinion show them respect, if anyone does anything improper, you can report it, not more than that, I can say most are good but there are few who are bad apples as you can say (just like in any group).

If you have dash cam, then this is your ticket out, use science.... do you remember this: take a distance and time from the video and you can calculate your speed (in very reasonable rate I can say), if you find yourself within the speed limit, then go to the court, this will be your defense and the court will accept it - no question about it. Just forget about the policeman's attitude, it will not help you at all.

Have a read of my post "Riding a Scooter in Car Park Without a Helmet?", in my statement to court/magistrate, I did not mention anything about the police officer's attitude but it was shown through how I wrote my statement, and the matter was dismissed. this is an advice I can give.