QLD Police Guessing at Car Speed - Contest the Fine?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nic3113

21 February 2017
I was behind a car that was in the right lane with me. This car was pulling away and I was just about to look over my left shoulder and change lanes to the left one. Before I did this, I saw two police officers waving the car in front and myself over. I assumed it was for breath testing.

One police officer approached my car the other was with the first car. I grabbed my drivers licence out of my wallet. The officer asked me what speed I was doing, I replied "I was not sure". He informed me that it was a school zone, I replied that "I don’t drive this way usually and I didn’t know it was a school zone".

He then informed me that they had clocked the car in front doing 62 and they were going to charge me with doing 52. I asked him if he had a reading on his radar of my speed and he said no, only the car in front and he showed me the radar reading of 62.

I asked if it was legal to just guess my speed and the officer seemed unsure.

The car in front left and both officers had a discussion for about 60 seconds and both then approached my car. The other officer who was operating the gun, very forcibly told me that he saw me driving at the same speed at the same distance to the car in front. I asked him if he was sure and he was certain of this. I am certain that this is incorrect as I remember the car pulling away and I made the decision to move to the left lane.

I informed the officers that I may contest the ticket. Should I?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Nic,

The worst thing you did was say you were not sure of your speed. But I would contest it. They didn't clock your speed and you can argue that you were decelerating to change lanes and the car in front was pulling away. Not sure if you had anyone in the car but that would support your argument.

Good luck.

nic3113

21 February 2017
Hi Nic,
The worst thing you did was say you were not sure of your speed. But I would contest it. They didn't clock your speed and you can argue that you were decelerating to change lanes and the car in front was pulling away. Not sure if you had anyone in the car but that would support your argument. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply Lance, very kind of you!

Jermy

30 March 2015
I was behind a car that was in the right lane with me. This car was pulling away and I was just about to look over my left shoulder and change lanes to the left one. Before I did this, I saw two police officers waving the car in front and myself over. I assumed it was for breath testing.

One police officer approached my car the other was with the first car. I grabbed my drivers licence out of my wallet. The officer asked me what speed I was doing, I replied "I was not sure". He informed me that it was a school zone, I replied that "I don’t drive this way usually and I didn’t know it was a school zone".

He then informed me that they had clocked the car in front doing 62 and they were going to charge me with doing 52. I asked him if he had a reading on his radar of my speed and he said no, only the car in front and he showed me the radar reading of 62.

I asked if it was legal to just guess my speed and the officer seemed unsure.

The car in front left and both officers had a discussion for about 60 seconds and both then approached my car. The other officer who was operating the gun, very forcibly told me that he saw me driving at the same speed at the same distance to the car in front. I asked him if he was sure and he was certain of this. I am certain that this is incorrect as I remember the car pulling away and I made the decision to move to the left lane.

I informed the officers that I may contest the ticket. Should I?

This is my thought only -

One can tell the speed by experience. I ride a scooter and I get the feel of the speed I'm at (with +/- 10% diff) and also sometimes I use other vehicles that are traveling along side or in front of me to accelerate or slow down. Best thing is to ask a lawyer (or Legal Aid) - they may give you advice, but from what you are saying as you did not know the speed you were in, and there are several police officers and a radar reading, those may be against you.

This is to give you a point to think about, just ask a lawyer, that is the best way to go....

PeanutLuver

28 February 2017

PeanutLuver

28 February 2017
For Queensland & speed camera classification

- see this 2017 document for some info

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/corporatedocs/OperationalPolicies/Documents/TrafficManual/Chapter8.pdf

It also makes reference to manufacturer specifications and a "National Measurement Act" .....

there is mention of every 12 months
- perhaps it may vary perhaps for different circumstances eg different camera types etc

Another typo up the top
- meant to be

Speed camera calibration

(Sorry , my screen has autocorrection, should switch it off again)

PeanutLuver

28 February 2017
Hi

For Queensland & speed camera classification

- see this 2017 document for some info

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/corporatedocs/OperationalPolicies/Documents/TrafficManual/Chapter8.pdf

It also makes reference to manufacturer specifications and a "National Measurement Act" .....

there is mention of every 12 months
- perhaps it may vary perhaps for different circumstances eg different camera types etc

Sorry - that should have been chapter 6 for calibration etc (not chapter 8 on police changing infringements etc )
- also there is chapter 9 on cameras

See link pages to jan 2017 qld police manual below :

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/corporatedocs/OperationalPolicies/tm.htm

PeanutLuver

28 February 2017
Chapter 6 of qld police manual

- also has a section on police

- "estimating" vehicle speed

See link immediately above to - whole Qld police traffic manual - its listed viewable/downloadable by chapter