VIC Unfair Dismissal - Fight Former Employer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Westy

20 December 2014
I have had grand mal seizures for 25 years and currents medications cannot control it. I have irregular seizures and have been told I have small seizures constantly that I don't even realise. I have started working as a medical receptionist in a busy practice. I am finding it really hard to remember all the different aspects involved in my job and finding that I can't process information quick enough to do my job to the standard expected. I understand its possible that my brain has been damaged from many years of seizures and that my ability to process info maybe be compromised. Other jobs I've had haven't been so fast paced and so I didn't realise this would be a problem when I took the job.

I spoke to the manager of the practice about the issue and made her aware of the possibility of trying 'reasonable adjustment ' as I am more than capable of doing other tasks within the role....but she said no! I was then told that if I couldn't do all the job it would be best if I left, so now I am unemployed :-(

Is she allowed to just say no without even looking into the possibility? Is she going against the Disability Act where it says assessments have to be done and discussions should be had about adjusting working to suit my condition?

People have said I should sue them for unfair dismissal, what do you recommend? Is it worth a fight or am I just going to lose anyway?

Please help I don't know where to go from here.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Westy,

I suggest you start with speaking to the Fair Work Ombudsman page on "unfair dismissal" and contact them for advice or even to assist you in lodging a complaint and resolving your dispute.

Reactions: Westy