QLD Underage Laws?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sereck

27 August 2020
So.. long story short, I met her when she was 12, I was 14, and we're in love.
I don't think it's weird, these past few years have been the best few years of my life.
I just want to get some clarification on sexting laws.
So- I've turned 16 a couple days ago, and I'm unsure on what happens if we sext.
Better yet, could you explain the whole law to me? I don't want to get in trouble for anything, and neither does she.

Oneman

7 September 2017
Hey Sereck.
Firstly, I don't know the law on sexting apart from it being illegal if there is no consent or underage. Secondly, I've never done it and would never do it. Why? Doesn't your image go to 'The Cloud' and just float around forever? See how little I know about it. You're only 16, right? So, if you stay in love with this girl until you're 20, then break it off, can you delete your pics from the Cloud or do they float around forever, until your next girlfriend, fiance or employer finds them? I think it's a real dumb idea. If you want to take sexy pictures of each other, buy a Polaroid camera and find a safe place to hide the pics so her big brother or Father doesn't find them.

Sereck

27 August 2020
Hey Sereck.
Firstly, I don't know the law on sexting apart from it being illegal if there is no consent or underage. Secondly, I've never done it and would never do it. Why? Doesn't your image go to 'The Cloud' and just float around forever? See how little I know about it. You're only 16, right? So, if you stay in love with this girl until you're 20, then break it off, can you delete your pics from the Cloud or do they float around forever, until your next girlfriend, fiance or employer finds them? I think it's a real dumb idea. If you want to take sexy pictures of each other, buy a Polaroid camera and find a safe place to hide the pics so her big brother or Father doesn't find them.
I'm not saying that we're sexting right now, or have any intention to sext right now. Hell, our relationship isn't sexual at all. I'm just wondering, that in the future, I want to be prepared if this situation ever arises.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Is sexting a crime?

It’s illegal to create, send, possess or intend to possess images of someone aged (or who appears to be aged) under18 (including yourself) who is:
  • involved in a sexual activity
  • in a sexual pose
  • acting in a sexual way
  • showing their sexual parts.
You can be charged with a criminal offence for ‘possessing child exploitation materials’ if you’re aged 10 or over.

If you make or possess (have) illegal sexting images or send them to other people you may be charged with distributing child exploitation material, which is a serious crime. If you’re found guilty of this offence you could be sentenced to up to 7 years in jail if you are 16 or under, or 14 years in jail if you’re 17 or older.

SOURCE >>> Sexting and sharing photos online