NSW Unauthorised television appearance

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Julie Epstein

26 May 2017
SBS broadcast a television program that was produced by a US company.

The program is a documentary about food and this episode was set in Sydney. I was filmed while eating a meal in a restaurant. We knew filming was happening but since there were no warning signs I assumed they would only show the people they were interviewing. However I appeared twice for a few seconds. I wouldn't be so worried if it was far away shots but they are very close up.

Does a program have a right to show unauthorised close ups of people in public without warning?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
SBS broadcast a television program that was produced by a US company.

The program is a documentary about food and this episode was set in Sydney. I was filmed while eating a meal in a restaurant. We knew filming was happening but since there were no warning signs I assumed they would only show the people they were interviewing. However I appeared twice for a few seconds. I wouldn't be so worried if it was far away shots but they are very close up.

Does a program have a right to show unauthorised close ups of people in public without warning?
There is no general right not to be photographed/ filmed of the kind you might think.
In any event, you had an opportunity to object, and you didn't.

Julie Epstein

26 May 2017
There is no general right not to be photographed/ filmed of the kind you might think.
In any event, you had an opportunity to object, and you didn't.
Thanks Tim.
Guess I need to be more careful about these things in the future