Trolls using Friend's Facebook Profile Photo and Refuses to Stop

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mumstheword

27 May 2014
Hi all, I am posting for a friend who is very distressed - please note neither of us have access to legal aid.

She runs a charity and has just recently had a picture she had as her profile shot (of self, not something else) taken and used by someone in our local area as their own picture on Facebook and even when asked has implied that it is her and why would anyone question it.

When asked to remove the picture she has refused to. This same person trolls Facebook groups and now my friend is concerned as when people in the area see her they will assume she is this other person and also as she goes to media with her charity she is worried about the repercussions of this woman's actions - also she has no control over what she is saying and doing while 'she' is the 'face' of the troll... many of us have tried reporting via Facebook channels and nothing is being done to remove it. My friend cannot personally do anything as she can't access the profile to report it as she has been blocked.

Does it ever become a matter police can assist with?? Can she only get action via courts/lawyers??

mumstheword

27 May 2014
please note I am asking for a friend, it wasn't my profile. We have tried contacting Facebook with no luck.. also this person is more than just a troll, she is a local in our suburb and not entirely anonymous, whether that matters..?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
The cheap option is to keep pounding on Facebook until they shut her down. Not to say she wont just open a new account.
If you can afford it perhaps you could get a local lawyer to write a letter (just guessing $150 call for a quote). Many people get a wake up call when a letter arrives from a proper legal firm.

mumstheword

27 May 2014
Thanks. She is actually using her own profile that she has had for years to do this.. Word behaviour given she is not anonymous. I don't get how it doesn't for into disorderly conduct or nuisance charges at the very least

AnnaLJ

16 July 2014
I agree that you should continue to report this to Facebook. Facebook have a strict policy of removing fake accounts and take things like this very seriously. If your friend is blocked from accessing it, I suggest you access the page and report the account as 'impersonating' someone. I personally have been successful in having accounts removed this way.

I'm not convinced that this would give rise to defamation law issues based on the information you have provided, but that would depend very much on exactly what this person is writing about from this account. If you can, keep a screenshot of any negative comments or conduct you view as you may come in useful later.

Reactions: John R