SA Traffic Law - Likelihood of Keeping My Drivers Licence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Catman

4 April 2016
Hi guys,

This is the lowdown -

When i was on my P 2's around 6 months ago, I failed to give way while crossing a dotted line (hit someone changing lanes). I only had 2 points left on my licence, which means I would have been disqualified, or put onto safe driver agreement.

Since I was less than 2 months away from my full drivers licence, I decided to elect to be prosecuted as I didn't really fancy going back to my P's. Now that I'm on my full drivers licence and almost half a year down the track, I received my court date. I know that I will still be charged as if I'm on my P2's as I was when the accident happened.

I have an appointment this week with a legal consultant to look through my options.

My question is, how likely do you think it will be that I get to keep my full drivers licence under Traffic Law?

Thanks, guys.

Clancy

6 April 2016
I don't know the answer but perhaps with more information someone else can help? Were you issued with an infringement by an officer of the law at the scene of the accident? What offense does it specify and how many demerit points?

The court will probably consider if there is a pattern of bad behaviour... which means what other demerit points you got and or any previous accidents. That is what will swing things for or against you. But also having no further demerit points since the accident will be helpful, but if it is helpful enough, I don't know?