Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Traffic Law - Drivers Licence Suspended

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by P1996, 28 September 2014.

1. P1996

P1996 Member

Hi, I was just wondering if there would be any point in me appealing in court for my license suspension to be shortened or wiped..
    I am a p1 driver (red p plater) and I was caught speeding and lost 3 points, I have 4 points as a red p plater but the law now says if you're court speeding on any licence other then a full licence it's an automatic suspension.
    I read somewhere if your of good character and need your drivers licence for work you can appeal, is this true? And are my circumstances enough to qualify..?

I do not have a bus stop within at least a 4km radius.. And I work in town.. I'm not sure if this would be good enough reason under Traffic Law?

Help! I would love my drivers licence back over Christmas :(

Thank you

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi P1996,

In NSW there is no such thing as a work licence. Your only option is to appeal to court.

See Justice Law Assist (NSW Government) for more information on this point.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Owens Lawyers

Owens Lawyers Well-Known Member

Hi @P1996

The success of any appeal will depend on your traffic record and how strong your need for a licence is. Some magistrates in NSW are fond of giving P-platers a second chance.

Consider also doing the Traffic Offenders Program. And don't forget there is a 28 day time limit to appeal.

Rod likes this.