To bring new partner to Australia

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Neha

17 August 2019
Hi All
I am currently on bridging visa to regional (489). I am married for 6 years and things are not going well between us. I am the main applicant and I am just wondering.. what if I divorce my husband once 489 visa is granted and can I marry someone else back from my country and bring him here as I am 33 years old and very keen to have babies which I do not see from my husband due too fragile relation. Will it affect my husband's visa or mine or do I get in to trouble for marrying second time? Please suggest must appreciated.
Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You need to be divorced first, before you can remarry.
Clarify for me - Are you on a 489 now, or are you on a Bridging Visa pending the outcome of your 489 application?

Neha

17 August 2019
Thank you so much Tim
I am on bridging at the moment and does he have to leave Australia if I file divorce while on bridging to 489 visa ? and what if I divorce him once i get 489 because I also wish he can live here In Australia. What if I remarry soon after divorce and process to bring my 2nd partner here. Will it be hard for me to bring my new partner in future as i heard immigration always have problems with second marriage.
I would really appreciate if you give me some insights because it about my life and future.