NSW Time-frame for Divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ram

1 February 2019
Hi ,

I am an Australia citizen and my wife is Indian. We got married 4 years back and due to compatibility issues, we thought of dissolving the marriage. We were separated from 2.4 years and don't have any kids.

Now she is not agreeing for a mutual divorce. So what are the chances of me getting the divorce in Australia?

What will be the timeframe to get the divorce and also appreciate if you can recommend some good family lawyer - Sydney?

Atticus

6 February 2019
You can apply for a divorce in Australia if you are an Australian citizen...

As she is OS, she will need to be served at least 42 days prior to the court date... You can apply yourself online via the Federal Circuit Court.

Reactions: Ram

Ram

1 February 2019
Hi Atticus,

How to deal with money settlements? I don't have any assets in Australia except my monthly salary .

As she is from overseas, will she has the rights for money settlements? If yes, how much I need to pay her ? Will it be monthly or one time?

Atticus

6 February 2019
If you're meaning property settlement and your assets are located OS, she would probably be better off applying in that jurisdiction. You have no kids so no child support to be concerned with. To have any claim on your income as spousal maintenance, she would need to apply in the OS jurisdiction

Robs

20 March 2019
A judgment against you abroad may stay inactive until you enter the nation sometime in the not too distant future, for reasons unknown. In this way, you ought to think about whether an outside risk you are confronting originates from a nation where you might need to go later on.

To react to a risk of a lawsuit abroad you either need to deal with the circumstance yourself or, which is better, contact an attorney in that nation. Regardless, the general guidelines on finding legal help still apply, however you should be prepared for the additional unpredictability introduced by an abroad law.