Divorce when married in Thailand

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aaronh

11 September 2017
Hi,

We were married in Thailand two years ago, with all relevant processes followed in Thailand. We have been separated for a year. We are both Australian citizens, but never lived in Australia before separating.

I am still overseas, she is in Perth. We want to get a divorce. Is our marriage valid in Australia and how to do we get a divorce? Do we have to get divorced in Thailand or can we do it in Australia?

It isn't registered in Australia and all can't find the marriage certificate.

What are our options and do I need to actually do anything? If I do nothing, will this effect me later on if I want to marry someone else in Australia?

Thank you

Carmel Torney

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
7 September 2017
Bunbury WA
www.sleeanderson.com.au
Hi Aaron
As you and your wife are Australian citizens and she is living here, you should be able to apply for divorce in Australia.

Generally, you will only need a copy of your marriage. If it is not in English it will need to be translated and a affidavit of translation of marriage certificate also filed. If you can't locate your marriage certificate or a copy of you should get legal advice.

The response provided is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice.