VIC Threats made over phone - Police won't give me details

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mike Love

25 June 2014
Hi,

So I had this guy a few months back take issue with me trying to get him to clean up his rubbish from my property. (He admitted it was his) He was a builder and was given my number from the developer.

He changed his mind and refused to clean it up, so I said "no worries, see you in court".

He then made various random threats to burn down my house and break my legs etc.

I recorded the call (legal in Vic - not the issue here) and the Police said they would charge him.

But they told me that they wouldn't give me any of his details due to privacy law.

Is this correct? What if I wanted to sue him civilly for something or other?
I have the guys number, but it just comes up at a business - no details of the owner etc.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Correct, the Police can't give you his details. But if he is charged and contests it, then you'll probably receive a summons and eventually find out what you want to know anyway.

If you had some other (civil) issue with the guy, you would have to track him down yourself. Shouldn't be too hard if you have a phone number, you just need to use your imagination. Otherwise, if you were willing to spend a few bucks, any good private investigator should be able to track him down in an hour or two - it's not as if he's hiding from anyone.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you wanted to sue him civilly, then you'd start your court case and immediately request the court for subpoena from the police asking for the address. The police may object, but there are other ways if the builder is a registered builder.