VIC The court date

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Graham.B

17 November 2020
Thanks in advance for your time. although I am seeking a lawyer, but any opinion or suggestion will be highly appreciated. I have been interviewed by VIC police for non-serious offence last July, bailed to face the court on the first week of December. Then, I wrote to the informant and he recommended the diversion. He told me a new trial date will be set when the curfew in Melbourne is lifted. I didn’t hear from him since. Now, less than 20 days left for the original court date (before they recommended the diversion). Should I contact the informant or let him contact me? Should I ignore that court date? Also, what my chances that the judge will grant me the diversion if it’s recommended by the police and I have no priors at all before?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Depending on charges diversions are usually granted by Magistrates. However the police must first file the notice .
Happy to assist.

Reactions: Graham.B

Graham.B

17 November 2020
Depending on charges diversions are usually granted by Magistrates. However the police must first file the notice .
Happy to assist.
Thanks for the replay. The thing still unclear to me, should I ignore the original court date that given to me - before the diversion- or should I call the police and wait the new date with the diversion note?
The diversion was recommended by the informant verbally not on paperwork.
Thanks again

Graham.B

17 November 2020
It’s on the 7 of next December. I received this date on the paperwork before I write to the informant and he recommended the diversion.

Graham.B

17 November 2020
Thanks Tony. Should I ignore the original court date ? Can I have your email or phone to contact you?