VIC Diversion

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Carlabadluck

8 June 2020
I am waiting for the charge for a minor and a non serious offence. I have no priors or any convictions before. The informant asked me during the interview if I want to come back later to the police station to make a separate statement about the incident. He seems he will not recommend the diversion. My questions:

1. Is the separate statement will help in anything?
  2. Can the diversion be recommended by the prosecutes, even if the informant didn’t give it? And if yes, what can I do at the meanwhile to be more suitable for the it (the diversion)?
TIA

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
I am not sure why you are being asked to give a "separate statement".
The prosecutors can recommend a diversion but if Informant against then delicate.

Carlabadluck

8 June 2020
I am not sure why you are being asked to give a "separate statement".
The prosecutors can recommend a diversion but if Informant against then delicate.
I wanted to show him some documents and health certificates, but the informant said you can’t bring anything for the interview inside the police station. He mentioned I can come later to provide a statement. Not sure if he will let me bring in these documents?

Is there away to change the mind of the informant in regard to the diversion? Talking to his Sergeant for example?