QLD Tenant Claim for Car Damage - Am I Liable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
21 March 2017
We are currently renting our house to tenants. When they first moved in there was an issue with the roller door in the garage. We gave very specific instructions to the real estate agents to rectify the issue and later that day received an email to say it was all good and fixed.

About two weeks later, we received a phone call from the real estate to say the tenant had been in and the roller door had come down on his car and scratched the tray on his ute. Later, we find out from the tenant the real estate had not passed on all the correct instructions to rectify the problem with the door and because of this it had come down on his ute. The tenant has since taken over 3 months to get a quote for the problem to be fixed on his car.

Can you tell me, am I liable for this or who is actually at fault and responsible for his car to get fixed?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Assuming you still have a copy of the email, go back to the real estate and ask for an explanation (ie, "you're going to be paying for this, aren't you?"). If you're not satisfied, take the matter to the relevant real estate body for your state: https://reia.asn.au/complaints/complaint/