QLD Taking a child on "holiday"

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MikeC

2 October 2018
Hello,
I will get straight to the point.The mother of my child has mental health issues (diagnosed by GP and referred to a psychologist for on going treatment,which she refuses to attend) and is causing unrest in the household which is in turn upsetting my son and causing behavioral issues.I can not bare to keep my son in this environment any longer.
I am considering taking my son on an extended holiday until the legalities have been sorted out and filed.What repercussions should I be worried about if I go down that road?.
There are no orders currently in place.

nat 2015

8 February 2017
Hello,
I will get straight to the point.The mother of my child has mental health issues (diagnosed by GP and referred to a psychologist for on going treatment,which she refuses to attend) and is causing unrest in the household which is in turn upsetting my son and causing behavioral issues.I can not bare to keep my son in this environment any longer.
I am considering taking my son on an extended holiday until the legalities have been sorted out and filed.What repercussions should I be worried about if I go down that road?.
There are no orders currently in place.
How old is the child?

nat 2015

8 February 2017
3 years of age
Ok so pretty young, I think as long as you don't leave the country and there are no orders you can go on a holiday as you please.
Try and have another chat with your ex partner about getting help, I have been there myself with PND, and I had no support from my ex, if anything it made him more abusive towards me, you need to do what is right for you and your child.
It doesn't make her a monster having PND but if she's not willing to get help it can and will affect the child.

MikeC

2 October 2018
Ok so pretty young, I think as long as you don't leave the country and there are no orders you can go on a holiday as you please.
Try and have another chat with your ex partner about getting help, I have been there myself with PND, and I had no support from my ex, if anything it made him more abusive towards me, you need to do what is right for you and your child.
It doesn't make her a monster having PND but if she's not willing to get help it can and will affect the child.
I have spent the last 2 years trying to talk to her,trying to get her help,doing everything in my power to get her over this hump but nothing seems to work.I have been with her for nearly 10 years and taking our son from her seems like my only option left,a last resort.She has caused me so much grief these last 2 years it is not funny.She has even gone to the extent of phoning the police one day saying that I hit her when in fact she was the one that attacked me when i was trying to leave our house with our son when she was having one of her tantrums.Police attended and she told them that she was making it all up and I didn't do anything.The police still put a protection order in place on her behalf even though she said I hadn't done anything.That in turn meant that I had to move out of MY house,caused me significant financial lose,took a toll on my mental well being yet I still stayed in the picture and tried to help.
I really am at my wits end with it all to be honest.My son does not need to put up with this.

nat 2015

8 February 2017
I have spent the last 2 years trying to talk to her,trying to get her help,doing everything in my power to get her over this hump but nothing seems to work.I have been with her for nearly 10 years and taking our son from her seems like my only option left,a last resort.She has caused me so much grief these last 2 years it is not funny.She has even gone to the extent of phoning the police one day saying that I hit her when in fact she was the one that attacked me when i was trying to leave our house with our son when she was having one of her tantrums.Police attended and she told them that she was making it all up and I didn't do anything.The police still put a protection order in place on her behalf even though she said I hadn't done anything.That in turn meant that I had to move out of MY house,caused me significant financial lose,took a toll on my mental well being yet I still stayed in the picture and tried to help.
I really am at my wits end with it all to be honest.My son does not need to put up with this.
Look, I agree with some of this, but I don't believe taking a child away from either parent is the answer,
Ok, first thing is get yourself some support from mensline, could you talk to her parents or close friend etc?

nat 2015

8 February 2017
Look, I agree with some of this, but I don't believe taking a child away from either parent is the answer,

Ok, first thing is get yourself some support from mensline, could you talk to her parents or close friend etc?
Sorry I sent it before I finished.

MikeC

2 October 2018

I've tried that but they didn't seem to interested.
Sorry I sent it before I finished.
I have tried to get her parents to speak to her but when they have she has pointed the blame at me and ssaid that she is fine and everything is ok.I agree with you when you say that no child should be taken away from either parent but I honestly do not see any other option at the moment.
I know this will sound bad but our son has more of a bond with me than he does with her.You can't really blame him though,she gets frustrated and smacks him when unwarranted,sends him to his room as punishment over little things instead of talking to him about it and just the other day smacked him on the bare bum with an empty drink bottle which left a nice red mark for an hour or so.She said she didn't mean to but that gives you an idea as to what she is like towards him.If it's not going her way,for whatever reason,she gets frustrated.I would hate to think how she speaks to him while i'm at work.

sammy01

27 September 2015
madness. Dont do it.
How would you go if mum did that?

3yr old? you have to see this as 15 year long game mate. 3 week holiday now = an argument she can use in court to show how in-effective co-parenting is gonna be between you guys. That will contribute to a case that shows the kid needs less time with dad.
I can't predict the future mate, but I can tell ya that you'd better take some good photo's on that holiday because it will be the last you have for a while

MikeC

2 October 2018
madness. Dont do it.
How would you go if mum did that?

3yr old? you have to see this as 15 year long game mate. 3 week holiday now = an argument she can use in court to show how in-effective co-parenting is gonna be between you guys. That will contribute to a case that shows the kid needs less time with dad.
I can't predict the future mate, but I can tell ya that you'd better take some good photo's on that holiday because it will be the last you have for a while
she has already done it to me before.