QLD Stolen inheritance by father and stepmother from child who lived with grandparents.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mrs Lawson

30 August 2018
Im writing this on behalf of my husband.
My husband was sent away by his dad and step mum when he was young to live with his grandparents (biological mum passed away). When Hubby was a teenager he got inheritance in some kind of trust from his great Aunt. This would of been over 20yrs ago. Unfortunately his dad withdrew the money before my husband got to legal age to access it (21yrs i think it was set at). His dad and step mum bought a house for there kids to live in but Hubby stayed with grandparents so saw no benefits. We dont know exactly how much it was but have heard from the family it was around $100,000.
We are wondering given how long its been does my husband have any rights? and how on earth could we find the evidence, like how much it was and who withdrew it as it is all he said she said at the moment.

AdValorem

20 August 2015
Perth
Hi Mrs Lawson

You can start searching for the will of your husband's aunt.

In her will you will see the gift left to your husband and its value.

If you have confirmed that the story about the gift is true you will need to see a lawyer.

Regards
Val

Mrs Lawson

30 August 2018
Hi Mrs Lawson

You can start searching for the will of your husband's aunt.

In her will you will see the gift left to your husband and its value.

If you have confirmed that the story about the gift is true you will need to see a lawyer.

Regards
Val

Good morning Val,

Thank you for replying. I figured we would have to track the will down somehow. How do you do that? Do wills get recorded or filled anywhere or would we need to ask a relative to see if they still had a copy?

Regards
Anna

AdValorem

20 August 2015
Perth
Just click on the link in my earlier message which will take you to the Supreme Court website for details on how to search for the will.