VIC Speeding/Loss of Licence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gumboots

13 January 2021
Hey Everyone, looking for a little bit of advice. Yesterday I was caught speeding at 102km/h in a 70km/h zone.
While I don't dispute the charge I was wondering if anyone has any advice on NOT losing my licence. I use it everyday for work and furthermore, my wife and I have just planned (and paid for) an 8 week trip around Australia, due to leave on March 1st (which would have to be cancelled if I cant drive). I haven't had a fine in more than 5 years and was wondering if going to court and basically pleading for mercy is of any use? I've already signed up for a defensive driving course as a result and am compiling some character statements from friends and family. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers! Will

Gumboots

13 January 2021
Hey Tony,

Is that absolutely hard and fast? Is it not even worth lodging with the court? Also looking at my offence, the “Detected Speed” is 107km/h and “Alleged Speed” is 105km/h. Isn’t the margin of error 3km/h? Making it less than 35km/h and downgraded to 1 month. Any advice is much appreciated.
Cheers,

Will

Gumboots

13 January 2021
So for instance how long could I defer the inevitable? Our trip is planned March 1st - April 19th. Any chance of delaying it till after that?