QLD Speeding Fines with Wrong Date - Legal under Traffic Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Betty Springate

1 October 2014
Hi, my son got a speeding fine and the officer put the wrong date on the fine and when I sent it of to get it put on sper I noted on the fine that the wrong date was entered on the bottom of the fine. e.g 30.09.14 and it should have been 30.08.14.

They have since issued a new fine and was wondering if this was legal under Traffic Law as we thought the fine was written out incorrectly and should have been invalid. Should we just accept it or is there something that can be done to have this fine withdrawn.

Thank you

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Generally, a fine will not be invalidated by a mistake. Even if it was invalidated by a mistake on the fine (such as a typo), issuing a new fine is perfectly within their power. If you sped, they are entitled to seek a fine as punishment.

Also see this previous Traffic Law Forum thread "No Expiry Date on Infringement Notice - Can I Get Out of It?".

Betty Springate

1 October 2014
We received an amended fine in the mail and they have spelt the name incorrectly and I have been told that if there is any discrepency on a fine that the fine can be challenged is that correct and if so what is the procedure to follow, or should we just pay the fine

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes it potentially be challenged having the wrong name, however they can just re-issue the fine in the right name, and right date.

Best deal with what you have now unless it suits you to delay the matter (eg wanting other previous points to elapse).