QLD Speeding Fines - Dispute Downhill Camera Speeding Fine?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Roger

25 September 2014
Hi, I have just received a $151 infringement notice for exceeding the speed limit doing 68 k/h in a 60 zone. The camera was on Jubilee Tce, Bardon at the bottom of a long steep hill. If I contest this in court as being inequitable, opportunistic and exploitative, what are my chances and could I be liable for further costs? I've received 3 identical speeding fines in this location in the last 3 years.
Thanks in advance.

hlly

12 August 2014
Speeding is an offence even if you are going downhill.

If it is the third time you have done this, my advice is to try not to do so again.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You are generally not up for additional costs if you defend yourself in court. You can ask for, but will probably not receive, the police guidelines on positioning of $peed/tax cameras. Not sure if it will help your case but worth a shot.

There is a safety issue if you have to ride your brakes down a hill and there is an argument that hot/overheated brakes are a larger safety issue than speed. I vaguely remember reading about similar case with the same issue but unhelpfully for you I can't remember the result or reference or names involved. Try searching the austlii databases if you have the time.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If I contest this in court as being inequitable, opportunistic and exploitative, what are my chances...
On those grounds? Negligible.
and could I be liable for further costs? This is my 3rd identical offence in this location in the last 3 years.
If you are unsuccessful, yes.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
I would not suggest you contest it unless you genuinely believe you were going within the speed limit and have evidence to prove this. Being the third offence will not work in your favour. 8km above the speed limit is still speeding. Going downhill is no excuse for speeding.